Each month I am sharing a different non-profit organization with you here. It is my hope to help raise awareness about an organization that you maybe haven’t heard about yet and help you find ways to get involved. Not all of us are called to minister in a 3rd world country, some of us are called to raise awareness here – this is my hope with these impact opportunities!
This moth I want to tell you about a wonderful organization called Mercy House Kenya. Founded by a mom and blogger Kristen Welch, when Kristen travelled to Africa and saw a need. From her site:
- Annually, 21,000 women are hospitalized from having an illegal, unsafe abortion in Kenya. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- Abortion is a volatile topic in Kenya.
- 13,000 Kenyan girls are kicked out of school for being pregnant. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- 25% of pregnant women in Kenya are HIV positive (ObGyn in Kenya)
- Every 30 minutes, a woman is raped in Kenya. (Nairobi Women’s Hospital)
- Mothers often force their daughters into trading sex for food in the slums (CNN)
- More than 20,000 children are sex trafficked in Kenya (Human Trafficking)
- 1500 women die in childbirth every day across Africa (WHO)
Kristen felt God calling her to DO something. So she helped start a home in Kenya. A place where pregnant mothers could come. A safe place that not only provides protection and shelter, but teaches these women about prenatal care, gives them an opportunity to finish their education, and partners with them to help them learn sustainable life skills.
As of May 2013, Mercy House Kenya had 11 girls and 9 babies with 2 on the way. Mercy House is changing and saving lives!
So you may be asking how you can help?
There are several ways you can support Mercy House!
I am a part of Team Mercy. By signing up to be a part of this team you are committing to a monthly sponsorship of $3 a month or more. You commit to advocating about Mercy House. Maybe you take information to your church to raise awareness. This summer I am doing my annual garage sale and have committed that all proceeds from the sale will go to Mercy House.
Shop in the Mercy House store. There are several products that are handmade in Africa that are available for purchase. The women are taught how to make these beautiful paper-rolled necklaces and bracelets – see below! You can even host a virtual party and share the products with your friends!
Pray! Pray for the women being helped by Mercy House. Pray for the staff and volunteers that make this beautiful organization possible. Pray that God would show you how you might become involved this ministry.
Love endures all. Love conquers all. Love is enough. Help me #spreadthelove http://ctt.ec/ad5lJ+ (Tweet This!)
God calls us to help the needy, to show love to our brothers and sisters and while I may never travel to Africa in person…I can love on the residents of Mercy House from my home in MN! Will you join me?