Thank you for joining me in my series 31 Days of Finding God. Each day I am going to use a prompt from Kate and incorporate that into how I am finding God in my everyday!
In a week from tomorrow I am heading on a little vacation of sorts – I am going away to Allume!! And the best part about all of it is that I will get some time to fellowship with some of the most amazing women I know.
Women that get me, that pray for me and my family…women that encourage and laugh with me. Women that I didn’t really know even 2 years ago that have now become fast friends.
Yep, I getting away. Leaving on a jet plane from an airport I haven’t been at in years, and never alone….so I am a bit nervous about that but for the most part I can’t wait to get away and surround myself with these beautiful women!
So in the interest of a little fun I thought I would share some of my best tips for enjoying a conference like this and how you can get the most out of your time away!!
1) Share a room! Last year I shared a room with several women and at the time I didn’t really know any of them really well. Yes it was scary at first, but these women have become some of my best friends and except for 1 new addition this year (yay Mandy!!) we are all rooming together again!
2) Bring a power strip and an extension cord. As is typical at a writer/blogger conference, most everyone has a cell phone and a computer…possibly an iPad so lots of spaces to charge your devices is helpful. Bring a power cord so there isn’t a shortage, and I brought an extension cord so that i could use my curling iron in the room easier. (Have you ever noticed that IF there is an extra mirror in the room that there isn’t an outlet nearby!
3) Pack layers. I am cold by nature so I always pack several layers. I would rather be able to take a sweater/jacket off than sit freezing all weekend.
4) Be flexible! I went last year with a lot of “must do this” ideas…and quite frankly when I got there so many of those went out the window and were replaced with time for laughter and fellowship. The keynote speakers were great and the breakout sessions were as well, but nothing topped spending time with friends in community.
5) Spend time connecting with a cause that you love. Last year my plan for attending Allume was to grow my blog, and get tips for building my platform. And what I walked away with was a heart to give more, give back to others. What a gift that was for me. Realizing that it isn’t all about me, but more about what God can use me for in His greater purpose, for His glory….well that was life altering!
6) Give yourself the ability to take breaks. 450 women around for 3+ solid days can be a little overwhelming, especially if you are an introvert like me! If you need to steal away to your room for awhile, it’s ok!! I missed a session last year because of a bit of a stomach ache…but Mel and I got some quality time together just hanging out in the room – priceless!
7) Don’t be afraid to talk to someone you don’t know! We are all in the same boat, women who likely feel a little nervous and unsure…if you see someone alone – approach them, take time to get to know them. On the shuttle to the hotel last year a women recognized me and knew my name. I was surprised but felt such a peace because of her warm welcome. Debi that will always be a gift you gave to me last year – thank you!!
8) Worship freely. The worship time was a favorite of mine. As someone who grew up in a church that doesn’t have “hand raisers”…coming to a conference where women are worshiping freely can feel a little intimidating. But I can say from experience that giving myself the freedom to worship unashamed, allowed me to just experience God’s presence even more.
9) Attend a meet-up. Last year I attended a couple of different meet-ups. This is an opportunity to meet like-minded women who either participate in a group like Hello Mornings, or blog for a specific cause. This year the God-sized Dream website team is hosting a meet-up!! All the details can be found here, but if you are a dreamer and want to join us we would love the opportunity to pray for you and will you!!
10) Bring a LARGE suitcase. Let’s just be honest here, packing light just doesn’t happen. Even when I am trying to pair down my shoes or my jeans…5 days away (I am flying in on Wednesday and out on Sunday) is a lot and a small suitcase just won’t cut it. And with all the amazing swag that you go home with, and all the vendors that will be available to purchase from…you are going to want the space. Trust me on this one! My bag weighed EXACTLY 50 pounds going home last year. All God that I wasn’t over!
I have been waiting for Allume since last year, and counting the weeks down since I saw my GSD girls in Houston in April. Getting away, even for a short time can just rejuvenate the soul! Are you attending Allume? What is your favorite thing to do to get away, even if it is for a short time?!
If you are attending please let me know – I would love to connect while we are there! 🙂
In Him, Kristin
Subscribe To The Blog!
Join the mailing list to receive the latest posts directly in your inbox!